Enjoy my interview with Dr Sue van Leeuwen
Helping you get your first Board appointment
Do you wish to make a difference in the world?
Are you ready to impact the community around you?
Are you at a time in your career where you're ready to give back?
The Board Ignition online course is a practical and dynamic online learning program to introduce emerging leaders to the not for profit sector and the opportunity to contribute at a board level.
Alicia has inspired me to make a difference in the way I live my life. I couldn't think of a better role model for a boards course."
- Penelope Wakefield | Manager Business Sustainability
This is not your normal board program! This is a dynamic, engaging, interactive course that gives you practical steps on how to get onto a board and be an outstanding director.
- Discover how to land your first board appointment.
- Consider which board positions to accept and the due diligence process involved.
- Understand what happens in the boardroom and the key challenges of the not for profit sector.
- Discover how to approach your first six months on a board with confidence.
- Master what it takes to be an outstanding board director.
This program unpacks the best knowledge and expertise from the collective experience of top CEOs and Board directors.
This modules shares with you more about the NFP sector and explores why you might want to serve on a community community. This week we nail your 'why' for getting onto a board.
- Explore the Not For Profit landscape in Australia
- Understand the reasons to contribute to the community
- Determine which NFP board/organisation/sector is right for you
- Understand the Not for Profit sector in Australia.
- Explore reasons to contribute to the not for profit sector.
- Determine which NFP board/organisation/sector is the right for you
Come find out more about the causes which connect to you.
So what exactly is a board role? This module outlines the roles and responsibilities of community board directors and the governance education options available for futher development.
- Understand your responsibilities and requirements as a director
- Understand your role in the boardroom
- Explore professional development opportunities for your skill gaps
This module is about you - your values, strengths and leadership styles. We look at what it takes to be an exceptional board director by developing your own value proposition.
- Understand your strengths and values
- Learnt the leadership skills and behaviours required in the boardroom
- Recognise the board behaviours that lead to a high performance culture
Right - let's find you a board appointment! This module shows you the ways to get your first board role through networking, mentoring and board resumes.
- Develop your value proposition to the board
- Understand the avenues to get on a board
- Develop a strong resume for recruitment
When you are going for a board role, you will want to interview the board as much as they will want to interview you. This module highlights what to consider before joining a board.
- Understand the due diligence required before joining a board
- Understand which documents to review and the right questions to ask
- Understand the board and organisation culture
So what really happens before the closed doors of the boardroom. This module will give an insight into the conversations, relationships and challenges.
- Understand the roles, relationships and challenges inside the boardroom
- Understand the elements of an effective meeting
- Learning about the importance of board and personal evaluation
Ok, so we are pretty certain that if you follow the strategies in this course, that you will get onto a board. So how do you approach the first six months on the board. No worries - we have got you covered!
- Understand the elements of an effective board induction
- Build trust and rapport with your fellow board directors
- Explore ways that boards differ from other teams you've been part of
We don't want you to be a good director, we want you to be an OUTSTANDING director. This module gives you what it takes!
- Explore what makes an outstanding board director
- Learn the importance of good decision making
- Undergo personal reflection
Watch one of our client success interviews
Take a look inside the course here...
What's included in the course?
Not your normal governance education program! This course gives you the real look behind the boardroom door. Each module includes the information, statistics, practical takeaways, tools and techniques.
Each module includes an online workbook, practical activities, worksheets and videos with experienced directors.
Hear from experienced board directors about their inspiring journey and experiences on boards. Learn how they got their board directorships, what they have learnt along the way and what they recommend to you!
Once you've read through each module, there are a range of reflective activities, worksheets and further learning opportunities to apply the knowledge.
What people are saying
Watch one of our client success interviews
More Happy Board Ignition Participants
Your Learning Guide
ALICIA CURTIS is an outstanding business and community leader and the founder of Alyceum, a leadership development company. Alicia has a Masters in Business Leadership and in 2019 was named in the Business News 40under40 list, in 2018 was named the EY Social Entrepreneur of the Year in the western region, in 2017 she was named in the inaugural Westpac 200 Business of Tomorrow List as well as rating in the Westpac and Australian Financial Review’s 100 Women of Influence List across Australia in 2014.
Alicia has facilitated the hugely successful Engaging Young Leaders on Boards program which has helped countless young professionals get onto community boards. In 2016, Alicia co-authored Difference Makers: A Leader's Guide to Championing Diversity on Boards with CEO, Dr Nicky Howe. Alicia also started the #1000youngdirectors campaign which aims to ignite 1000 young directors onto community boards to increase diversity, support succession planning and improve our local communities.
Alicia has served on a range of community boards over the last 15 years and was most recently founding board chair of 100 Women, which has fund raised and awarded $500,000 to causes supporting women and children.
Get the Board Ignition Course Today!
- 8 self paced modules jam-packed with practical advice about boards, the Not-For-Profit sector and finding your first board role
- 12 exceptional video interviews with experienced Board Directors from around Australia
- 8 board case studies to explore the elements of a high performing board
- Easy-to-read online workbooks for each module
- Worksheets, practical challenges and further resources
- Weekly emails with inspiring board directors sharing their journey
- Private facebook group access for group support, collegiality and access to Alicia
- Bonus pre-recorded webinars recordings