Enjoy my interview with Board Ignition participant Dr Sue van Leeuwen
BOARD IGNITION COURSE
Are you serious about your first board appointment?
The Board Ignition program fast tracks your board journey to ensure you are equipped with everything you need to contribute to the not for profit sector at a board level.
Do you wish to make a difference in the world?
Are you ready to impact the community around you?
Are you at a time in your career where you’re ready to give back?
If you are seriously interested in taking the next steps to contributing at board level and truly making an impact then look no further.
Contrary to what you may think … becoming a board member of a non-profit organisation is not an impossible feat. And you likely already have everything you need to not only secure a position, but do an exceptional job.
Whether you are looking for a position in an organisation you are already a member with, or wanting to explore how else you can contribute to the community taking that next step and becoming a board director is an exciting and significant process.
But where do you start?
If you’re worried about where to begin, who to reach out to, what experience you need, how you can do an amazing job then you can stop worrying.
Here’s the thing: being selected for a board and being a successful board member does not require you to have:
x An active history within that organiastion
x Significant experience as a board member
x A huge resume
x Hundreds of hours of free time
In fact, you can get your first board role through networking, mentoring and by harnessing the experience you already have to make a case for selection.
And we can show you how ….
The Board Ignition Program
An 8-part, self-paced, interactive course that gives you practice steps, mentoring and guidance on how to get onto a board and be an outstanding director.
- Discover how to land your first board appointment.
- Consider which board positions to accept and the due diligence process involved.
- Understand what happens in the boardroom and the key challenges of the not for profit sector.
- Discover how to approach your first six months on a board with confidence.
- Master what it takes to be an outstanding board director.
Here’s what’s waiting for you
Inside the Board Ignition course
Why join a community board?
This modules shares with you more about the NFP sector and explores why you might want to serve on a community community. This week we nail your ‘why’ for getting onto a board.
- Explore the Not For Profit landscape in Australia
- Understand the reasons to contribute to the community
- Determine which NFP board/organisation/sector is right for you
Are you board ready?
So what exactly is a board role? This module outlines the roles and responsibilities of community board directors and the governance education options available for futher development.
- Understand your responsibilities and requirements as a director
- Understand your role in the boardroom
- Explore professional development opportunities for your skill gaps
Your board leadership style
This module is about you – your values, strengths and leadership styles. We look at what it takes to be an exceptional board director by developing your own value proposition.
- Understand your strengths and values
- Learnt the leadership skills and behaviours required in the boardroom
- Recognise the board behaviours that lead to a high performance culture
Finding a board position
Right – let’s find you a board appointment! This module shows you the ways to get your first board role through networking, mentoring and board resumes.
- Develop your value proposition to the board
- Understand the avenues to get on a board
- Develop a strong resume for recruitment
Before joining a board: What due diligence is involved?
When you are going for a board role, you will want to interview the board as much as they will want to interview you. This module highlights what to consider before joining a board.
- Understand the due diligence required before joining a board
- Understand which documents to review and the right questions to ask
- Understand the board and organisation culture
Inside the board room
So what really happens before the closed doors of the boardroom. This module will give an insight into the conversations, relationships and challenges.
- Understand the roles, relationships and challenges inside the boardroom
- Understand the elements of an effective meeting
- Learning about the importance of board and personal evaluation
First time on a board: what to expect
Ok, so we are pretty certain that if you follow the strategies in this course, that you will get onto a board. So how do you approach the first six months on the board. No worries – we have got you covered!
- Understand the elements of an effective board induction
- Build trust and rapport with your fellow board directors
- Explore ways that boards differ from other teams you’ve been part of
The journey of the outstanding board director
We don’t want you to be a good director, we want you to be an OUTSTANDING director. This module gives you what it takes!
- Explore what makes an outstanding board director
- Learn the importance of good decision making
- Undergo personal reflection
Directors you will learn from
Hear from experienced board directors about their inspiring journey and experiences on boards. Learn how they got their board directorships, what they have learnt along the way and what they recommend to you!
Meet your Course Facilitator
Alicia Curtis is one of Western Australia’s most inspiring social and business entrepreneurs as an award winning speaker, leadership facilitator and community change maker.
Alicia is passionately driven by her purpose to ignite leaders to transform the world for the better - whether than be in the workplace or broader community. As the founder and Head Facilitator behind Alyceum, Alicia works closely with leaders all across Australia looking to ignite their purpose and deliver change.
"I've spent the last 25 years leading community change projects that shift the status quo. I love unlocking the leadership strengths, visions and learning in purpose-driven individuals to create change for the greater good."
Alicia shares her incredible experiences including...
- Creating and facilitating the hugely successful Engaging Young Leaders on Boards program which has helped countless young professionals get onto community boards.
- Co-authoring Difference Makers: A Leader's Guide to Championing Diversity on Boards with CEO, Dr Nicky Howe.
- Co-founding 100 Women and serving as the inaugural Board Chair. 100 Women has fundraised and awarded over $800,000 to causes supporting women and children locally and globally.
Alicia has been nationally recognised...
- Western Australian Women's Hall of Fame 2020
- Business News 40under40 2019 (top 4)
- EY Social Entrepreneur of the Year in the Western region 2018
- Westpac 200 Business of Tomorrow List 2017 Winner
- Westpac and Australian Financial Review’s 100 Women of Influence List across Australia
- West Australian of the Year Awards Finalist 2018
What students are saying
Alicia has inspired me to make a difference in the way I live my life. I couldn't think of a better role model for a boards course.Penelope WakefieldManager Business Sustainability
I was very glad to have been given an opportunity to see behind the boardroom door. The course has an excellent balance of practical know-how and motivational activities.Terri-Ann Shilcock
A big thank you for the advice and support provided via Board Ignition. It really helped me to identify what I was looking for from a board and to how seek out such opportunities and...... I am now a proud board member of an international NFP board!Penny Dowds
I’ve been seeing a lot of your lovely face recently as I sat and watched all the Board Ignition webinars again over the weekend, as part of my prep for a Trainee Board Director interview, which I have today! It was so helpful to sit and go through the webinars again, so thank you for all your efforts with them.Laura Sutherland
I was fortunate enough to be voted in at the AGM and I am now a current board member in the position of treasurer. This positive experience is all thanks to Alicia and this program.Samantha Bradder
The structure and content of the course was very relevant and well laid out. I felt like i was on a journey to directorship with Alicia.Vicky Krishnamurthy
Such a good course. Bucket loads of great content. The interviews are great to listen to each week, amazing insights, so diverse and no two are the same. Great interview questions Alicia.Dave Dury
The Board Ignition online program provides a solid platform of learning and Board ready strategies. The video interviews with active board members, sharing their experiences, is really valuable.Narelle Goodfield
Frequently Asked Quesitons
You will gain access immediately after you enrol for the course. From that point, you’ll receive Board Ignition emails for 8 weeks to explore the course. You will have life-time access to the course which means you will have access to the online materials for the life-time of the Board Ignition course.
The Board Ignition course is a low-cost option to learn more about board governance, the Not-For-Profit sector and pathways onto your first board role.
Board Ignition is not an accredited governance course but we can definitely recommend some future options for you!
This course also explores HOW to get your first board role not just what the role entails. No use knowing about board responsibilities if you can’t get your first role!
This course is like sitting down with a great mentor and talking through the in’s and out’s of sitting on a board. It’s practical, motivational and effective!
Absolutely not! All ages are welcome and we’ve had retirees who have completed the course and gained so much from it.
You get lifetime access to the course as long as the course is available.
The Board Ignition program is 995 AUD (including GST). We want to make it affordable for young professionals to learn about board governance, get onto a board and give back!
No. This program is a series of modules. You can go through the program content such as notes, video interviews, quizzes and challenges as fast or slow as you like. There are also two recorded webinars with course creator, Alicia Curtis as she goes through the modules.
We’ve worked hard to produce an amazing series of modules including interviews with Australia’s most talented and inspiring leaders and experts. That said, if you’re unhappy for any reason within 7 days after purchase, we’ll refund your money. Please read carefully our full Terms of Sale here.
8 self-paced modules jam-packed with practical advice about boards, the Not-For-Profit sector and finding your first board role
12 video interviews with experienced Board Directors from around Australia
8 board case studies to explore the elements of a high performing board
Easy-to-read online workbooks for each module
Worksheets, practical challenges and further resources
Weekly emails with inspiring board directors sharing their journey
Private Facebook group access for group support, collegiality and access to Alicia
Bonus pre-recorded webinars recordings